Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Book Reviews- The Lunar Chronicles

I know this review is a long time coming considering I read these last year but finally here's my review of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. The Lunar Chronicles are composed of four books; Cinder, Scarlet, Cress and Winter. They are sci-fi retellings of classic fairytales including Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves respectively.


I wasn't sure about these book when I first heard about them but when I finally got over my skepticism and decided to pick them up I was hooked! Sci-Fi retellings of fairytales sounds really out there and like a recipe for crappy books but Marissa Meyers really made it work! They were fun, clever and engaging. I really enjoyed all of the books for the most part, which is a lot to ask of a series sometimes. I was amazed at how well Marissa Meyers wove the stories together integrating the original stories with the future seamlessly.
I wasn't as big of a fan of the book Scarlet but that was because I just wasn't as a big fan of the character or her love interest. Overall, the parts I normally didn't like in the books were when they got too romantic. Give me some action and cut the kissing! ;)
My favorite character was obviously Captain Carswell Thorne. Can we just say Flynn Ryder? And who doesn't love Flynn Ryder? Can we just say Han Solo? And who doesn't love Han Solo? So yeah.... enough said. Girls can't help but love the rogue with a hidden heart of gold. I really like Cress too... so yeah... serendipitous that... SPOILERS!!!! ;)
If you like sci-fi, a little romance (or a lot at times), fairy tales and some humor then these are the books for you!
P.S. Marissa Meyer also wrote some in-between books that I've not read yet so I cannot comment on those yet though they do look intriguing!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Kai and Cinder were my favorite (I'm really starting to see that of the most used fairytales, the cinderella story is my favorite), and I feel that they got the least time together. Scarlet and Wolf were rather puke-worthy. Thorne was awesome, but Cress was a bit embarrassing. I think Jacin and Winter tied or perhaps exceeded them in my favorite couple line-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pretty terrific series, although Winter felt waaaaay too long for my tastes. I was ready for it to be done. My fav was Scarlet, hands down. They just spoke to me for some reason, both of those characters.

    But I do think Fairest is the best of the books, so definitely read that in-between one. It's well worth it; brilliantly done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was pretty impressive how Meyer created this totally new take on the classic fairy tales. I'm glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...