Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Book Review- Lieutenant Hornblower

77040For the Mount TBR pile challenge I read C.S. Forster's novel Lieutenant Hornblower.
Synopsis from Goodreads: In this gripping tale of turmoil and triumph on the high seas, Horatio Hornblower emerges from his apprenticeship as midshipman to face new responsibilities thrust upon him by the fortunes of war between Napoleon and Spain. Enduring near-mutiny, bloody hand-to-hand combat with Spanish seamen, deck-splintering sea battles, and the violence and horror of life on the fighting ships of the Napoleonic Wars, the young lieutenant distinguishes himself in his first independent command. He also faces an adventure unique in his experience: Maria.
I actually this second installment in the Horatio Hornblower series more than the first. While the first was several individual stories this book focused on one story. It was also interesting in how it was told from the perspective of Lieutenant Bush and what he observed in Hornblower. The stakes seem higher in this story as well and you really see Hornblower's brilliancy play out as he keeps his head and plans his way through each incident. Seeing him through an outside perspective was intriguing and while I think an odd choice for the narrative I also think it was an excellent one. Lieutenant Bush was one of my favorite characters. It was actually interesting to look at all of the different Lieutenants and see how each of them handled themselves in the same situations. It showed that just because someone had been a Lieutenant the longest and therefore would get promoted first did not mean they were the better Lieutenant.
The Captain was crazy. It doesn't take me being a nurse to figure out that he had a mental condition. It was a pretty interesting situation that played out and it seemed like everyone kept their cool a lot better than I could have. I was a 100% done with the Captain by the end of the first chapter.
Overall I enjoyed this book a lot and I felt it taught a lot about integrity and being a man.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...