Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Top Ten Children's Books I Really Love but I Feel Like I Don't Talk About Enough

The theme for this week's Top Top Ten Tuesday is to list your top ten books you love but feel like you don't talk about enough. There are a ton of books I feel like I don't talk enough so for this post I'm going to narrow it down to children's books I don't feel like I talk about enough so this is of course going to omit the obvious ones I love like Harry Potter and Anne of Green Gables. We're talking about ones I DON'T talk about enough here. Making this list I realized that it's ridiculous I don't talk about these books more. I loved all of these books and re-read them all multiple times as a child. I read and re-read a lot as a kid. And making this list makes me want to re-read these all again!
  1. Detectives in Togas by Henry Winterfield- A childhood favorite and one you should definitely hand this one to your children. 
  2. The Mad Scientist Club by Bertrand R. Brinley- This is for the geeky kids out there. Just kidding, it's for all the kids. :) 
  3. Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robison- Such a fun story.
  4. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald- This was one of my favorite little series as a kid. Basically the books are about a widowed old lady who comes up with cures for children's bad behavior. 
  5. Freddy the Pig series by Walter R. Brooks- A pig that talks and solves mysteries. Sign me up! ;) 
  6. My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett- Stuck on an island with all sorts of odd creatures who's to rescue you? A dragon of course! 
  7. Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series by Brian Jacques- Everyone knows about Jacques's Redwall series but his other series is not as well known but it's still quite enjoyable. 
  8. The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgleish- I don't remember this book terribly well but I do recall loving it as a kid. It's a great story for teaching about bravery as well as the settlers pioneering new terrain. 
  9. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Spear- I recently handed my sister this book and she loved it. Her enthusiastic gushings reminded me how much I too had loved it as a child. 
  10. The Saturdays Elizabeth Enright- A delightful story about a family who each Saturday one child gets to take the joint allowance of everyone and do whatever they want. 
  11. The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken- One of my hands down favorite books as a kid. 
  12. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg- Siblings hiding out in a museum. :) 
So yeah it ended up being twelve not ten but there were so many!
Have a kid? Hand these books to them now? Don't have a kid? Read them yourself now! ;)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

13 comments:

  1. Nice picks for this week! I haven't read any of the books on your list... I'll have to expand my reading horizons!!

    Here's a link to my TTT for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/03/ten-books-i-really-love-but-feel-like-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of these are my favorite too! 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 11, and 12! Have you ever read the sequel to Detectives in Togas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have! I really enjoy it as well. I also have read a couple of his others besides and enjoyed those too.

      Delete
  3. I've only read the Konigsburg, but some of these others I may need to add to my tbr. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, you listed so many of my favorites!

    I read #1, #3, #4, #5, #6, #8, #9, #12 and then re-read about half of them. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't actually read many of these, but I enjoyed The Wolves of Willoughby Chase :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolves of Willoughby Chase was scruskly my favorite book for awhile in my childhood!

      Delete
    2. *actually
      Where's autocorrect when you want it? ;)

      Delete
  6. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle!!!! I love those books, and my kids do too now.

    Mixed-Up Files is one of the best books ever.

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...