Thursday, September 11, 2014

Book Review- The Bridge on the River Kwai

I watched the movie a long time ago and remembered very little about and I certainly didn't remember loving it. However, for my Back to the Classics challenge there was a "classic about war" category and seeing this book on the shelf, I thought I'd try it out. Before I read it I imagined it being a heavily historical boring war book. Oh my was I wrong!
Here's the synopsis from Goodreads: 1942: Boldly advancing through Asia, the Japanese need a train route from Burma going north. In a prison camp, British POWs are forced into labor. The bridge they build will become a symbol of service and survival to one prisoner, Colonel Nicholson, a proud perfectionist. Pitted against the warden, Colonel Saito, Nicholson will nevertheless, out of a distorted sense of duty, aid his enemy. While on the outside, as the Allies race to destroy the bridge, Nicholson must decide which will be the first casualty: his patriotism or his pride.
From the very beginning, The Bridge on the River Kwai was making me smile with it's satirical wit. All of the characters impressed me with how well they were developed so quickly and it was easy to understand each decision they made. It always kept me engaged and I skimmed through it in just two days. There were a lot of great themes of duty, loyalty and pride mixed in throughout this story but for me mainly it was an adventure novel.
I would highly recommend it as a fun and exciting read that still delivers some history and food for thought. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book, but it sounds awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it out! I really enjoyed it and I hope you would too. :)

      Delete
  2. I've watched the movie a few times and didn't realize that it was based on a book. Now I want to read it, especially since you describe it as fun. The subject is anything but fun, but it sounds like the narrative voice is chipper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sad story but the humor keeps it light enough to still be an enjoyable sad story.

      Delete
  3. Your end of year 2014 survey makes me want to read this. I didn't realize it was funny. (Though I understand that's probably funny mixed with serious.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but British funny. :)
      Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...