Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Bookworm Questionnaire

Elyssa at Unscripted posted this book questionnaire which she got off of Goodreads. I do love me a good book questionnaire so I am filling it out too!

What book are you reading right now?

Currently I am reading Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and First Draft in 30 Days. 

What will you read next?

I'm really not too sure yet. I will probably pull off my summer reading list. The Scarlet and the Black, Vanity Fair, and The Bastable Children, are some options. 

What was your favorite childhood book?

That's not a fair question... it really isn't. Hmmm.... probably any of Brian Jacques's Redwall books. I read and re-read those a lot as a kid. 

What were your reading habits like as a kid?

At about eight years old I really started reading a lot. I was pretty much always reading. 

How many books do you have checked out from the library?

Two... that's all. I was actually really proud of myself on Monday when I checked to see how many books I had out and I didn't have any (I have a problem with returning them). I have First Draft in 30 Days, and The DASH Diet Cookbook. 

What books do you have on hold at the library?

None actually. I don't normally put books on hold as I always know when they come in... benefit of working at the library.

Do you have a bad book habit?

Besides not returning them as mentioned above, I don't really think so. 

Do you read one book at a time or several?

Normally just one. As mentioned above I am reading two now, but that is slightly different as one is for pleasure and the other is for work.

What is your favorite book you've read this year?

Probably Far From the Madding Crowd. 

What is your least favorite book you've read this year?

Hehe. I really don't read books I am not going to like.

What is your reading comfort zone?

Hmmm.... Any of Jane Austen's novels. It's way too easy for me anymore to just pick up one of her books to re-read. 

How often do you read outside of your comfort zone?

Fairly often. 

What is your favorite place to read?

My bed most definitely. Or a couch or comfy chair. It's all about comfort.

Do you lend out books?

I have before. I don't do it a lot but I am always willing to. 

Do you dog-ear books?

Uh... no!

Do you write in the margins of books?

Sometimes a book I am reading for academic purposes.

What makes you love a book?

Great characters, great (witty) lines, a strong plot, plenty of humor, tons of imagination, and beautiful writing. That is why I love Austen so much. :)

What will you inspire you to recommend a book?

If I loved it (see above for criteria).

What is the one book you will always recommend?

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I don't think nearly enough people read both of those. 

Is there a book that you love that no one else seems to?

I can't think of a single one. There are some that less people like, but not that no one likes.

Do you read while you are: Eating? Taking a bath? Watching TV? Listening to music? On the Computer? On the bus?

What kind of multi-tasker do you take me for? Eating, yes, music, sometimes, bus, yes. But while I'm watching TV or on the computer? That's impossible!

What is your favorite genre to read?

My favoriteS are historical novels, fantasy and of course the classics. 

What genre do you rarely read, but wish you read more of?

Science Fiction or biographies maybe. 

What is your favorite biography?

The first thing that popped into my head when I read that question was... Have I read any biographies? And then the next thing that popped into my head was... Of course! Booker T.Washington's Up From Slavery! So there you are. I really can only think of a few others I have read.

What is your favorite non-fiction?

I'm having trouble thinking of non-fiction books now too. You would think that all I read is fiction. Anyways... hmmm... probably Greg Bahnsen's Pushing the Antithesis. I also really liked R.C. Sproul's Chosen by God. 

Have you ever read a self-help book?

I'm not sure what qualifies as a self-help book so I'll say yes.... the Bible?

What is your favorite reading snack?

I don't snack too much while I read. If I do, it will just be whatever is on hand... most likely popcorn, peanut butter and apples (addictively delicious), or cookies (bad Lois!).

What is the most inspirational book you've ever read?

Do Hard Things. 

Are there any books that have been ruined for you by all the hype?

I don't read pop fiction so no.

How often do you agree with critics about a book?

I honestly don't really read what critics write about books. I suppose if you want to call my family critics, then I normally always agree with them. 

How do you feel about giving negative reviews?

I don't really read books I don't like. I know though, as you will readily attest to if you read my blog much, that when I do movie reviews, that I have no problem saying that I don't like one and explaining why. So I am sure the same would go for books.

What books are you most intimidated to begin?

Anything super long. Those Russian authors. I remember being really intimidated by With Fire and Sword.

What books are you most likely to take on vacation with you?

Just whatever I am reading at the time. Probably if I am reading something heavier though I might grab something lighter.

What is the longest you have gone without reading?

I don't really measure that amount of time. It kind of just happens and then I pick books back up like I never left them.

What is a book that you just couldn't finish?

I don't think I've ever not finished a book. It did take me awhile to finish The Silmarillion, but I did finish it. Now a certain brother of mine on the other hand, he NEVER finishes books.

What is the most money you have spent on books at one time?

I don't really buy books too much. The couple times I have, I am sure I didn't go over twenty dollars.

How often do you skim through a book before reading it?

Never! I just read the back to get the gist of the book or maybe read through the table of contents.

Do you keep books or give them away once you've read them?

Keep them! I don't get books I don't want.

Are there any books that you've been avoiding, or refuse to read?

Off the top of my head, The Hunger Games trilogy. I refuse to read any romance novels... but you probably already knew that.

What is a book that you didn't expect to like, but did?

The Silmarillion, Far from the Madding Crowd, The Lord of the Rings (When I read back through it). 

What is your favorite guilt-free pleasure reading?

Jane Austen novels... especially Pride and Prejudice, I could read that all day. 

What reading materials are in your bathroom right now?

None.

What book do you most remember reading for school?

The Westminster Confession of Faith, or Chosen by God. They both helped me with figuring out a lot of theological topics.

What was the last book you couldn't put down until you finished it?

I always put down books. I know that sounds awful but I do because I have to. There are those that are harder to put down though... most recently Jules Verne's Around the World in Eight Days. 

What book is physically closest to you right now?

 The two books I am currently reading... First Draft in 30 Days, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. 

What is your favorite book series?

That's not a fair question either. There are are so many series that I have loved through different time periods in my life. When I was young it was the Redwall series, or The Chronicles of Pryidan. Now it would probably be The Lord of the Rings

What is the longest book you've ever read? The shortest?

The longest would be either The Lord of the Rings, or With Fire and Sword. The shortest... well that would be all of those picture books I read as a kid. Dr. Seuss's ABC's!

Who is your favorite book character?

Off the top of my head, Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Knightley.

Who is your favorite author?

Another unfair question. Jane Austen obviously is one and Dickens and Tolkien are favorites as well.

What is our favorite book?

Pride and Prejudice!!!!!! That one is actually fair... at least for me that is.

That actually took me awhile to fill out. I kept wondering when they would end. That was a total of fifty question by the way. That was fun to fill out though. If you have filled this out too post a link in the comments section!

Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...