Thursday, February 14, 2013

Over-commercialized and Overrated: My Thoughts on Valentines Day

It's everywhere. Pink and red hearts, glitzy decorations and overpriced chocolates and flowers.  The stores started decorating for Valentine's Day as soon as Christmas was past.  They always have to have some holiday to decorate for. There are several reasons I don't like Valentine's day, and they aren't just because I'm single.
First off, I think if Valentine's day is the only day you are doing anything special for your "significant other", than you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't be taking her out for dinner just because its Valentines day and you'll look like a bad boyfriend if you don't. I am not saying not to do anything special for your "significant other", but if you are just doing it because its Valentine's Day and you never do it besides, then it is more obligation than anything I believe.
Next, I really think it is an over-commercialized holiday and those just really annoy me.  Valentine's Day has an actual history that isn't what it has become now.  I know, I know, it's a conspiracy by the greeting card companies.
Lastly, it ruins the whole idea of "love".  Now y'all know my thoughts on mushy love stuff.  I hate it.  The "love" that teenagers lay claim to today, is not really love.  To quote Blimey Cow, "Love is a verb, it's something you actively do, not something you feel."  In the Bible it says "God is love", not the warm fuzzy feelings between you and you're one week boyfriend.
And as a side note from the anatomy and physiology geek, the heart is NOT shaped like a heart and nothing about the heart has anything to do with love (except maybe it beating faster when he comes into the room).

Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

1 comment:

  1. On the other hand, as an old, married person amidst a very busy life, it is fun to spend a night out with the love of your life. Even if we have to have an holiday to provide the reminder to stop and smell the roses! He even puts feet to his love, thus a verb - flowers and a homemade card. Have no fear though, this is not the only day he remembers me, just a fun "extra" day! Lots of extra hype out there, but sure a very good reminder. So now, off to finish my part of the day!

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...