Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ask me... I dare you!

 In preparation for my Anatomy and Physiology lab test today I have been memorizing organs and muscles on dead rats (gross but actually rather cool), blood cells, and the heart.  This morning I was really excited when I was able to explain the whole blood flow through the heart to my sister, starting where the used blood came back into the heart through the superior and inferior vena cavas and then ending when the blood left the heart through the coronary arteries and through the three branches off of the aortic arch.  And yes, I just explained that without looking at a book.  I could have explained the whole blood flow through the heart  for y'all as I did for my sister but I figured it might be confusing.  However, if you feel so inclined, ask me... I dare you!

Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

2 comments:

  1. Ok. I'm asking you, how does it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blood enters the heart through the superior and inferior vena cavas and goes into the right atrium. From the right atrium it goes into the right ventricle through the tricuspid valve. Through the pulmonary valve the blood travels into the pulmonary artery into the lungs where it picks up the oxygen it will need. The blood reenters the heart through the pulmonary veins and enters the left atrium. The blood then goes through the bicuspid (or mitral) valve into the left ventricle. Once in the left ventricle the blood goes through the aortic valve into the aorta. Once in the aorta the blood goes down into the left and right coronary arteries, which feed the lower part of the body and also up into the aortic arch and out through the brachiocephalic, common carotid, and subclavian arteries which feed the upper part of the body. Once the blood has been circulated throughout the body it comes back into the heart through the superior and inferior vena cavas and the process starts over again.
    You asked for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...